Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Kinda Sorry, But Not Really. Now.



 "But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another." ... Galations 5:15


******


I hated to do this, but at Facebook I made some of my friends, uh, go away.

Oh, I didn't unfriend anyone (feels too mean). But rather, I majorly unclicked stuff so that their endless political name calling, strife-inducing, what's-wrong-with-our-world details would vanish. 

I had to protect my sanity, partly so that I can continue: 

1.) Writing to you in a spirit of peace. 
2.) Doing the other tasks God's given me.
3.) Prepping, quietly minding my own business.
4.) Living within a spirit of gratitude for Life.

But still, I felt guilty. 

I wanted to be stronger than that, able to just roll my eyes and move on to kinder posts. But no, too often I'd scroll down the comments (what was I thinking?) and be shocked(!) at the arguments over everything.

Comments after posts/news articles: they are my personal kryptonite.

Never before have I seen our Country so divided. It's ghastly. And what does the Bible say about division? 


"If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand."   ... Mark 3:24


God will allow no one to rewrite or rework that kind of truth. Not even America. Nor Christians.(How can anyone not see we're in major, going-down trouble? Unless we repent, that is.)

Anyway. 

Feeling that twinge of aforementioned guilt, I did a Google search: "What Does The Bible Say About Strife?"  (Check it out, ok?)

Oh mama, how far we have fallen. I'd forgotten some of those verses. Wow.


It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,   
    but every fool is quick to quarrel."   ...Proverbs 20:3


"Remind them to ...  speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people."   ... Titus 3:1,2

"I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them."   ... Romans 16:17

Avoid them? Yes, some verses stated that--if we're wise--we'll avoid the strife-spreaders.

My guilt vanished. 

Oh, I'll still pray for my Christian friends who soak more in anger than in peace and Presence, but I'll no longer feel bad about not listening to their reports of sin-gone-rampant.

For my sake and yours as my readers, I can't risk it. I just can't.





"If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."   "Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."  ... Romans 12:18, James 3:18





******


"For you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way?"   ... 1 Corinthians 3:3

(I love that verse, for it hints that Jesus set us free to live a whole other new way. We are not stuck, forced to live weakly in regular ol' humanity.)

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions."   ... Romans 14:1


******

3 comments:

Terra said...

These are very appropriate Scripture verses. I tend to skip lightly over Facebook posts that are ignorant, attack Christians, are mean or just plain stupid. Yep, it is all there, but 80 percent of what my FB peeps share is kind, thank goodness.

Pam said...

Deb, you're wise to pursue peace.

Debra said...

Terra--aren't those verses great? It's so easy to veer from the truth nowadays without realizing it. sigh. Yes, and most of my FB friends post uplifting things, also, thank-goodness. But lately more of them have surprised me when they switch 'to the dark side.' (But still I'm thankful for Facebook! For many reasons...)

Pam--yes, pursuing peace is the way to go, I'm finding, in today's gone-wild world. I can think and hear so much more clearly in an atmosphere of peace!

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra