Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Okay. So I Cried When Sue Graduated.




"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." ...Proverbs 12:25



******


Tom and I felt a bit like the writers and actors of The Middle were 'phoning it in' during Season 6, so we hadn't watched much lately. (Though I hate to criticize...)

But finally we saw the season finale, you know, where Sue graduated from high school and wow. If I'd watched it alone, I'd have positively sobbed all over my favorite spot on the couch.

(Major, major spoilers ahead.)

See, for Sue Heck, this was supposed to be The Year of Sue, but not much went her way. For Sue, not much ever does, but still she perseveres, believing next time, things will be better. 

That's why we love her. Sue's so darn resilient that, even if she turns a tad morose, it's for moments--not months like with some of us. Er hem.

Her photo finally appeared in the yearbook, but alas, another person's name was beneath it. Sue's face was barely identifiable in a couple other pictures. Then her yearbook became lost(!) and Sue spent much of the episode asking others if they'd seen it.

Terribly discouraged, Sue's parents had to literally drag her to graduation and there she sat in cap and gown amongst her classmates, defeated and yearbook-less.

Then suddenly from rows behind her, Sue's yearbook gets passed up to her and she's thrilled to simply have it back. She opens it and oh my! It's filled with signatures. Person after person wrote things like, "Sue--Just seeing your smile in the hall each day encouraged me." And, "You always inspired me to never quit." "I'll never forget the way you kept going no matter who tried to stop you."

Oh. My. Goodness. Immediately Sue became her happy, glowing, Sue self and I became a tearful mess.

How often do so many of us just keep marching on, doing what we're called by God to do, wondering if we're truly helping others? If we're doing it right? How many times do we remind ourselves during the Silent Weeks that God appreciates our hours and hard work--and that should be enough? Then lecture ourselves if we feel a bit of encouragement from people would be nice, also, but to ask for it would sound too weird, like we're the needy whiner type?

Anyway. I wasn't surprised to see over at IMDB (and here) that that scene touched folks deeply, given we all have a need for appreciation. And I'm glad it reminded me to faithfully, daily, express my appreciation to others marching along beside me. 

You just never know when a kind, timely word will change everything.








******




"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works..."   ... Hebrews 10:24


"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up..."   ... 1 Thessalonians 5:11


The Year of Sue Ends As It Began--Heartwarming As Heck



******


Uh-oh! Now I want to live on a houseboat.  :)



******


Free Kindle Books:





The Widow of Larkspur Inn

Picture Perfect

Rules of Murder

Swept Away

Chasing The Sun

A Life Restored

7 comments:

Sara said...

Oh dear, I hadn't seen it yet and wasn't expecting the spoilers to make me into a crying mess right here on my couch. Love The Middle, and Sue. Not I can't wait to watch it for real and will have my box of tissue handy.

Debra said...

Oh Sara! I'm so glad 'you get it.' You'll still love the episode and I left out all the other 'back stories'in that one, so there's much more I've not even mentioned. So glad you love Sue too! :) Blessings, Debra

lorie said...

One of my favorite shows. I teared up at the season finale too! I just love Sue.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I had not seen this, Debra, and was nearly in tears just reading about it. I'm so glad you posted this.

Robin in New Jersey said...

If I haven't said it before, I will say it now, Thank you for all the encouragement you give to us from your little corner of the world!

Debra said...

Dolores--now I know for sure that you have great taste! :)

Kristi--thanks so much for letting me know you appreciated this post. Sounds like you 'get it', also!

Robin--thank-you for being such a wonderful encourager!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra