Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Humor and Preppers and More, Oh My :)

(Come here most afternoons and you'll find Daniel and me soaking in the sunshine.)

*****


The older I get (and the more insane this world becomes) the more I appreciate been-there-done-that-laugh-aloud writing. You know, like this.

I hope you'll go there and see what tickled me yesterday.


*****

Veering in a whole other direction, via Netflix I've been watching Doomsday Preppers (though some of those people do make me laugh, so there is that). So far, I've most appreciated 'Doris Day Prepper' for her and her husband's sense of balance (and oh, what a pretty yard they own!).

But mostly? These preppers challenge me to--at the very least--aim to prepare for future adversity of all types, you know, like either the end of the world (as we now recognize it) or the end of Tom's job. Hey. Once you've experienced a lay-off, you tend not to shrug off this staying prepared stuff like you did when you were young and silly.

My favorite way of prepping is to lug home free or cheap groceries by way of sales and coupons. Yesterday I brought these groceries, below, home to add to my stockpile cupboards (of which Tom and I will be seeking more via Craig's List and yard sales when he arrives home in a couple weeks):



The 5 bags of pineapple were free as well as the Pom juice and two packages of guacamole.

The cake mixes (enough for a year or more for us) were 6 cents each.

The taco mixes were .25 cents each and the butter was $1.49.

Oh, and I got two cans of Goya pinto beans for .24 cents each.



In this way, 'prepping' has already paid off grandly: grocery prices continue to rise sharply, but still, I'm more often paying 1970's prices or even better. High grocery and gas prices (gas, due to store promos) haven't affected our budget in years.


One thing I've seen? When God asks us to do something, anything, He always provides the way to do it. The money. The courage. The time, ideas and instructions.

No, really! The main reason we don't always see/get/hear all that is because we're more tuned into our own heads rather than His. We're still more about me, me, me rather than Him, Him, Him.

But oh, things turn exciting when we die to self and awaken to a suddenly-different life.  One where God leads and we humbly follow along on pre-ordained adventures only we, ourselves, probably find interesting, dare I say thrilling? But it's enough--more than, actually.

Yes, seriously. There are, of course, many other ways to live, but I prefer that one.





*****





"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."   ... 2 Corinthians 5:17

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong."   ... 1 Corinthians 16:13


Here's a pretty balanced article about prepping for anything.


*****


Oh, and speaking of Daniel the Cat-- last night I had another of my rare nightmares and was calling out a name. Daniel, sleeping beside my legs, got up, walked along my arm and awoke me. After seeing I was awake, he stepped back down the bed, curled up and went to sleep. 

His doing that always feels like a gift, a rescuer, from God. Happy sigh...



*****


Free Kindle books:









No comments: