Saturday, March 14, 2015

Been Kind Lately?



Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how. ~Author Unknown


*****


I've shared this a few times since 2004(while hoping to make this world sweeter) and the wild thing? I still recall Jackie's words these thirty-five years later whenever I wheel my shopping cart away from the clerk who bagged my groceries. 

*****

When I was first-married, (long ago and far away) I attended a Women's Bible Study each Sunday night. Once while we shared prayer requests, "Jackie" told us about her job at our small town market.

She said that what happened to her the day before was typical. A woman with a full grocery cart had basically ordered Jackie to wheel it out to her car. While the sun blazed, Jackie unloaded the bags into the trunk in a neat row. The woman got into her car, slammed the door and barely missed hitting Jackie and the cart as she left the parking lot.

At that point of the story, Jackie looked up at us with tear-filled eyes and said, "Couldn't she have at least said, 'Thank-you for unloading my groceries'? Is that asking too much?"

I never forgot Jackie's story or her question. Twenty-four years later, I've nearly always thanked those who bag my groceries in supermarket check-out lanes. And with every single thank-you, I've thought of Jackie's tears on that Sunday summer evening.

I guess this story brings up at least two points. One, that we never know what a lasting impact our words have on each other. Words are powerful, convicting things and can spur us into action. I'm glad Jackie shared those words that night. Thanking people who go out of their way for me has become a habit and a part of who I am.

One more point: The ungrateful woman from so long ago, if she is still alive, doesn't even realize that she also helped me. Because of her bad example, I vowed never to be like her.

But oh, how much better it is to inspire others by our good deeds!









*****


"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."   ... Luke 6:31


You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you. ~John Wooden




*****

Have you ever watched Texas Flip and Move? I've seen probably 7 episodes and yes, it can get corny and probably 80% scripted, but still, I enjoy it much.

Basically, three families bid on two tiny (less than 1,000 sq. ft.) houses which the high bidders then move to an auction yard. Then they spend a week fixing up these houses, but they do it very inexpensively, often spending between just $9,000 and $15,000. On auction day, prospective buyers walk through the houses then an auction is held. Most people buy these as vacation homes, but not all, and it's a blessing that most everyone appreciates everything about the houses and no one whines if there's no granite counter tops or hardwood floors.

This show can get silly (watch it and you'll see what I mean), but I especially appreciate the inexpensive ideas and the reactions of people as they walk through the cute finished houses.

I watch this on the DIY Network, but you can also watch a few online here.

Anyone else enjoy this show?


*****


Free Kindle Book:


Windows To Our World    (I can't put this one down!)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Roughing It

Innocents Abroad

3 comments:

Terra said...

Kindness always, and saying thank you, what a good reminder.

mabeane said...

I certainly agree with you. We need not take peoples' kindness to us for granted.
Jan

Pam said...

Ditto. A little bit of kindness, a smile, words of encouragement are like a balm to the soul. Yes, I'm beginning to watch the new Texas house flipping show, too. Aren't those sisters a hoot?? I'm always a sucker for "before & after" shows.