Thursday, January 08, 2015

Don't Let 'Em Steal Your Sense of Humor


"A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken."   ... Proverbs 15:13


*****

Oh for goodness' sake. Theoretically, shopping online is supposed to be easier than getting dressed, made-up, finding your purse and keys, driving to shops, battling weather, elbowing crowds, winding down aisles, searching for items, waiting in line, carrying heavy bags to your car and driving home.

But I wonder.

This morning as Tom prepared to step out into the blowy -15 degree windchill, he asked if I knew where his winter knitted caps are. Which means probably they're stuffed under car seats or out in the garage wherever the mice carried them away (think I'm kidding?) or buried beneath clothes in his drawers and only a total emptying of said drawers would unearth them.

With Tom's methods of organizing, you never know.

So anyway, I told him I'd use his Amazon Prime account to order him a couple new caps. With the free 2-day shipping they'd get here fast. Simple, right? Downright cheap, also (we're only talking knitted caps here). Easy-peasey.

Huh.

First, Tom had changed his amazon password so I emailed him for the new one. After hearing back from him, I found inexpensive hats at Amazon, but not ones in the colors (grey or tan) he asked for. 

Then I discovered cheap hats in the right colors, but people said in the comments, 1.) cold winds whipped right through those caps, 2.) they practically squeezed their heads off or 3.) they began unraveling from moment one.

Hmm. Then I saw hats in the right colors at the right price, but you couldn't use Amazon Prime for those. I'd have to pay for shipping and sometimes a wait of up to 23 days(!)

Tom's head would freeze by then.

Then I discovered expensive hats which people said were warm, some in the right colors (but not Amazon Prime-worthy), some in the wrong ones (Prime ok). Some hats said they could be ordered through Prime, but they lied or they cost a few dollars extra.

So rather than start banging on the keyboard (oh how tempting!), I finally just chose one wrong-colored, expensive, Amazon Prime-worthy, not-unraveling, warm hat. 

Gah. And then I mentally added 'find winter caps' to my Next Year Is Gonna Be Different And We'll Be Ready For Winter By November 30th List. Yes, the same list which never, somehow, gets marked-off before January 15th (or so).

Today's lesson? 

Never give-up (unless God tells you.) 

Keep aiming at making good changes. 

And most of all-- grip your sense of humor, especially in this 2015 World which is designed to snatch it away from you.



" ... but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."... John 16:33




*****


I think the scariest person in the world is the person with no sense of humor.



"I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man."   ... Ecclesiastes 3:12,13




*****

Oh my! Our local morning news showed this video of a woman driving around and around gas pumps while trying to get the hose and her gas cap/tank together. 

This made me feel so much better about my own (ridiculous) senior moments.  :)

*****

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."   ...Proverbs 17:22


Free Kindle books:







3 comments:

mabeane said...

Hahaha My husband is also very disorganized. He never puts anything down in the same place twice. And don't leave a clean surface he will fill it up! But he's wonderful husband and father and takes good care of me. I'm the organized one!
Oh, I forgot to thank you for the free down load books. I have found the site and have down loaded one or more everyday. I've been reading more because it's so easy on my ipad.

Elizabeth said...

Oh Debra, I have been one of those women driving around the gas pumps trying to get it right!

Debra said...

MaBeane--sounds like we have much in common!:) And I'm so glad you are enjoying the free kindle books. Isn't Kindle a wonderful invention? Today I'm reading A Lady in France and am enjoying it so much.

Elizabeth! Thank-you for giving me a good laugh yesterday. You are so funny, but I'm sure you've never driven around the gas pumps as often as that woman did! :)

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra