Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The God of All Comfort

"Blessed be God ... the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort..."  2 Corinthians 1:3


*****

Well. Happily, Tom arrived home from South Africa late Monday afternoon, bearing gifts, and the four of us (yeah the cats, included) rejoiced. In awhile, our living room resembled Christmas, what with wrappings and gifts (and suitcases) strewn everywhere, but orderly me didn't mind a bit.

Then as the pork strips cooked upon the stove, I popped in here to the computer and oh dear, I saw that Robin Williams had committed suicide. I stepped back out to the kitchen to tell Tom and well, a shadow cloaked our evening while we considered the despair Robin must have experienced in order to end his life.

This is one of those sad things which is sadder than we can even fully know.

Tom had already arranged to have Tuesday off so to begin recovering from 7 weeks away and jet lag and as we reclined around the (still messy) living room, chatting and watching scandalous amounts of the 3rd season of Continuum, I thought this: "I'm thankful that Tom was home when I heard the news about Robin Williams. It's a comfort sitting around with him today while healing from the shock and quiet grief."

And that is one of the many reasons God gives us spouses and friends, of course.

But then I remembered one of my constant goals, namely, to let God become huge within me and all around me. To learn how to seek Him first for every single need I have because if I can do that? I'll always have what I truly need, because He's promised never to leave me on my own.

And well, friends, I've noticed, aren't too 24/7, having lives of their own and everything. Spouses come close at times, but most are away from home a lot working jobs, etc. My own spouse? Most likely he's heading back to South Africa in October, perhaps earlier.

And of course, there's the tiny matter that no one lives forever and friends and lovers have been known to one day be here, then the next, be gone.

So basically, I have just one 24/7 Friend who I'm assured will be around when hard times arrive (as they do often in this End Times World) and oh glorious day! He just happens to be the God of all comfort.

May I seek Him first and may I keep learning to receive (as opposed to running around forcing things or working formulas) all the comfort and joy and peace He's always holding out upon open hands.








*****

" He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty" ...Psalm 91:1


 "Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; He will never allow the [consistently] righteous to be moved (made to slip, fall, or fail)."   ... Psalm 55:22


"When you have a problem, do you run to the phone or the Throne?" ...Joyce Meyer


*****



My very favorite Robin Williams film of all time? One which critics hated but I loved enough to watch at least 20 times? Hook.


*****

My buddy, Dolores, shared this at Facebook and I found it so lovely and true:







5 comments:

Dolores said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I am glad Tom is home safe and sound. The death of Robin Williams hit everyone very hard. My favorite movie of his. I have several actually; Good Morning Viet Nam, Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, The Fisherking, Awakenings, and Dead Poets Society. I was watching Dr. Drew the other night on HLN and he said that people don't realize what a black hole depressed people can fall into. They really believe everyone would be better off without them. Heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

Robin Williams death brings home again the thought that no one,..not even your spouse knows what you are feeling inside. Can you imagine the heartache his whole family is going through. The what ifs and all too. One of the big anchors of 60 Minutes show has suffered several times from bouts of deep depression and spoke of it on a show years back. Now I am sure many shows will feature this problem. Many people go through some of it after any major life problem or huge operation. Doctors watch out for signs of it. Robin spoke of this with Charlie Rose 5 years ago on his show. They reran parts of the many different shows he had done with Robin through the years last night on PBS. Both Charlie Rose and Robin had had the same valve operations on their hearts and they also discussed David Letterman's comments that it took him a whole year to feel right again. So it seems that Robin like many of us, was laughing on the outside but crying on the inside at times. It is so sad. They talked to Paul Rodregas about Robin dying and he was crying so hard over it he could hardly talk. They were close. We who only knew him through film and interviews were touched and we barely knew him. A few weeks ago a childhood friend died. I had not seen her in 50 years yet I have felt her passing since then. She was no star yet her smile and love of life will forever live on in our hearts too. Sarah

Anonymous said...

So glad Tom arrived safely home! The news about Robin Williams is so sad. Daughter, Susan's first date, with her now husband, was to see Mrs. Doubtfire. Joyce

Anonymous said...

Since I've been away from the internet a few days (camping in the "wilds") I'm just now getting the chance to say how thankful I am that Tom is home safe and sound! I was shocked and saddened at the loss of Robin Williams :( I really liked his movie Patch Adams (among MANY others!). Such a loss. Depression is such a devastating problem! And what a good reminder of our ONLY 24/7 friend, Jesus - and how we should always seek Him first!

Debra said...

Thanks, Everyone, for taking the time to share your thoughts about Robin Williams and depression. It always amazes me that the death of one person can affect so many--and that is something always worth remembering. Blessings, Debra