Saturday, July 19, 2014

Weekend Adventures


"Nothing is of greater importance than loving God! If we fail to take this seriously, we may find at the end of our lives that all of our works counted for nothing...(However) He wants us to Be before we do. Love first!"   ... R. Kent Hughes

*****
    


                           There's just something about a sunflower in your backyard...

... and there's just something about the presence of God and Grace when it settles upon your rooms almost like a mist. Tom has been away nearly 4 weeks (!) but all is well and time is flying and every morning I awaken with anticipation of a new day and more time spent with God.

Because He's at the top of my Who I Love List, I'm fine and happy, even alone here at Hobbit Cottage. And I'm seriously grateful for all the work He's put into me to get me to this place of divine contentment, for it doesn't just drop on our heads, there's no "Que sera sera, what will be will be" silliness about it. 

Uh, no. 

The Apostle Paul, even, had to learn contentment and so must we and oh! What an adventure God takes us along to get there .. all the pruning, the snipping, the over-and-over lessons and the throwing away of junk we mistook for treasure (because we are idiots without Him).

I'm learning to let God do whatever He wants to do to me. I'll only have regrets if I don't, but never if I do.


*****

These past two days I've done the yard sale thing again (surprise, surprise) as well as a quick trip to the book sale room at our local library, where I'd not been in what felt like 15 years. Anyway, see the books I found?



(Sorry you have to tilt your head. Sigh.) I'm reading the juvenile novels first. Some things just cannot be explained, so I'll not try. :)

Then this morning I found a painting which I liked mostly for its vintage green and have already hung it in two places (I think it will stay here. Awhile, anyway.) 



At the same sale (on our street, in fact), I bought this little wooden tray for my bedroom, but decided to park it behind the green teacup, instead:


And at that same sale? I found this interesting little lady:


Yesterday at two sales, the ladies totaled the price of what I'd chosen, but it sounded like such a pittance that I told them, "Aww... that's not enough. Here, take some more." 

Life is too short to deal in pittances and to not be a giver.



******


"... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."   ... Philippians 4:11

"Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord..."   ... Acts 3:19

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength..."   ... Deuteronomy 6:5


*****


The Savingstar Friday Freebie is a Keebler or Cheez-it snack cup. (Mine became my breakfast as I traveled to yard sales today. Tsk. Tsk.) The Healthy Offer is 20 percent off of loose lemons or limes.



*****

In case you're wondering, Tom's having a great time over in South Africa, also. Over the past 20 years, especially, God's done a heck of a lot of work on us both, otherwise, well, it wouldn't be pretty right about now. God is so good because His aim is to prepare all His kids early 'for such a time as this'.

*****

Free Kindle books:






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so terrific that four weeks have passed and you are so content...(Tom, as well). Life is short and we really must be givers. We need to find joy every day. Today my joy was in picking about a cup of blueberries from our own "wild Maine blueberry" patch. I'm glad to hear that yours was going to yard sales and book sales. Jan/Maine

Debbie V. said...

I stopped by the library today and checked out "Emily of Deep Valley" and of course thought of you. It's my first Hart novel :)
I do still love looking at old books as much as ever, but I rarely buy one. In fact I just donated a lot of books out of my bookcase. (I still have my Taber, Lutes and Read books, I keep my top few of each).

Anonymous said...

Generosity has many rewards!! Happiness of the giver is one. Glad you are still having a good time and Tom too!! Hope all will continue so!!!
Elizabeth in WA

Pam said...

Debra, God has been faithful to you and you have been obedient to Him. Therein lies the key to our happiness. So proud of your positive outlook during Tom's time away. Life is good...all the time. Yesterday, I picked cucumbers from my little garden and ate big juicy blackberries from the vine. Little things, but they made me happy.

Debra said...

A special thanks to each of you for commenting and wishing me well! As always, I appreciate your thoughts so much!

Oh and Debbie--it's funny, but Emily of Deep Valley is the only one of Maud's books that I didn't like! I think it's probably because Emily reminded me too much of my former painfully-shy self and her feelings were a bit too 'close to the bone' I guess. But many, many of Maud's fans adore that book. :) My very favorite is Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown.

Thanks again, All! Blessings, Debra